MANILA - Basketball superstar Donaldo “Dondon” Hontiveros filed Tuesday his certificate of candidacy for councilor of Cebu City.
Hontiveros, who retired from the Philippine Basketball Association last year, registered his candidacy for the south district under the Barug Partido Demokratiko Pilipino-Lakas ng Bayan (PDP-Laban).
The "Cebuano Hotshot" said he also received an offer to run under Cebu City Mayor Tomas Osmeña's party, but he joined Barug because the opposition group did not have a candidate who will focus on sports.
He said he ventured into politics to make a difference through sports.
Hontiveros' slate is headed by former Cebu City Mayor Michael Rama, who will run for vice mayor.
Rama's running mate incumbent Vice Mayor Edgardo Labella, will run for mayor and challenge Osmeña's re-election bid.
The Rama-Labella tandem has tapped actor Richard Yap as congressional candidate for the north district.
Report from Aiza Marrie Layague, ABS-CBN News