Duterte vows no gov’t resources for admin bets

Dharel Placido, ABS-CBN News

Posted at Oct 15 2018 07:58 PM | Updated as of Oct 16 2018 09:48 AM

MANILA - President Rodrigo Duterte on Monday vowed that no government resources will be used during the campaign of administration bets, especially for his most trusted aide, Bong Go, who is running for senator. 

“Nobody can use government resources, not even Bong. I will not allow,” Duterte said in a speech during the Philippine Army change of command ceremony.

But the President said, being in a “political position,” he will still campaign for his allies in the upcoming polls.

“I will campaign for my candidates. Wala pa naman akong slate. Hanggang dyan lang tayo,” he said.

Duterte accompanied Go to the Commission on Elections as the latter filed his certificate of candidacy for the senatorial race.

Speaking to reporters at the Comelec, Go brushed aside a question on whether government resources were being used in his senatorial bid.

New candidates closely identified with the administration seem to be facing a tough challenge ahead, as majority of the potential winners based on recent pre-election surveys are re-electionists or ex-senators.

Meanwhile, Duterte also asked the military and the police to stay neutral during the elections.

“I’m asking you not to indulge in partisan politics,” Duterte said.

“We make a pledge: There will be an election and it will be an honest one.”

The President’s allies who have so far filed their respective COCs for the senatorial race include Go, Senator Aquilino Pimentel III, Maguindanao Rep. Zajid Mangudadatu, and former police and corrections bureau chief Ronald dela Rosa.

Another close ally, presidential political adviser Francis Tolentino, is also rumored to be gunning for a Senate seat in 2019.