No arrests yet on kidnapping of Briton, wife in Zamboanga del Sur, military says

ABS-CBN News

Posted at Oct 11 2019 10:27 PM

The military on Friday said no arrests have been made yet in the kidnapping of British national Allan Hyrons and his wife Wilma in Zamboanga del Sur last week.

"Be informed that the 53rd Infantry Battalion, one of the operating troops of the 1st Infantry Division/Joint Task Force Hyrons, haven’t arrested any perpetrators of the incident and is still on its effort to rescue the couple and to neutralize/apprehend the abductors," the spokesperson of J-Task Force Hyrons, the group in charge of finding the couple, said in a statement.

The statement came after reports surfaced on the arrest of the alleged mastermind behind the kidnapping.

"In as much as we would like to inform the public, we regret to give details of our efforts/operations in order not to compromise the situation that might be detrimental to the troops and the couple," the military said.

The Hyrons were kidnapped by armed men in their beach resort in Barangay Alindahaw in Tukuran.

A witness said the couple was dragged by 4 armed men to pump boats which escaped in different directions.

Authorities earlier released composite sketches of two suspects in the abduction.

The provincial government is offering a P1-million reward for anyone who could provide leads to the arrest of the kidnappers.

- with a report of Dynah Diestro, ABS-CBN News