MANILA - Police in Metro Manila are now taking the government's anti-drug campaign to call centers and condominiums.
National Capital Region Police Office (NCRPO) regional director Chief Supt. Oscar Albayalde said they were already coordinating with call centers regarding the plan to conduct “Oplan Tokhang” (knock and plead) in their offices.
Albayalde said the call centers to be covered by the Oplan Tokhang are within the jurisdiction of the Southern Police District (SPD).
The SPD area encompasses a large number of business process outsourcing offices in the commercial districts of Pasay City, Makati City, Muntinlupa City and Taguig City, he said.
"However, we don't want to disrupt business," Albayalde said.
"Gagawin natin sa pinakamaluwag na oras--shifting, o labasan." (We will do this at the time convenient for them.)
The Oplan Tokhang in the call centers would involve mostly an information drive, he said, unless there were warrants against specific employees or employees had information to disclose to authorities.
SPD personnel have also started visiting around 300 condominium units in Makati as part of its modified Tokhang information drive, which took on exclusive villages last month.
"Halos tapos na ang gated subdivisions. Ngayon ang concentration natin ay yung mga condominiums," said acting SPD director Sr. Supt. Tomas Apolinario.
(We are almost finished visiting gated subdivisions. We are now concentrating on condominium units.)
"Cooperative naman sila (They were cooperative)," he said, adding they have established undisclosed targets residing in the condominium buildings.
Meanwhile, anti-drug drives in Muslim communities, such as the raid that killed 7 in Quiapo, Manila on October 7, have gotten the support and cooperation of the leaders of these communities, Albayalde said.
"After yung solidarity summit with our Muslim brothers (on October 6), kung saan they pledged support sa anti-drugs ng gobyerno, iyan ang pagtutuunan natin ng pansin ngayon, yung pag-clear ng different Muslim centers o community" he said.
(After our solidarity summit with our Muslim brothers, wherein they pledged support for the government’s anti-drugs campaign, we will now focus on ridding our Muslim communities of illegal drugs.)
Albayalde noted that the October 7 raid was only the second time in 30 years that authorities have conducted such a raid in Quiapo's Muslim area.
"We cannot relax dito sa kampanya natin sa illegal drugs. Nakita natin na nangangalahati o baka wala pa sa kalahati ang kampanya natin," Albayalde said.
(We cannot relax in our campaign against illegal drugs. We are just halfway, or not even halfway, into our campaign.)
"I think we have to [work] double-time to be successful, saka kailangan natin ang suporta at kooperasyon ng ating mga kababayan dito (we need the support and cooperation of the public)."