Itapon na lang ito: Carl Arnaiz kneeling when shot by police - witnesses


Posted at Oct 02 2017 12:10 PM | Updated as of Oct 02 2017 12:38 PM

MANILA - Two witnesses on Monday said Carl Arnaiz was on his knees when he was shot by two Caloocan police officers last August 18.

In his testimony, taxi driver Tomas Bagcal, 54, said Arnaiz and another person boarded his cab at around 1 a.m. and asked to be brought to 5th Avenue.

Upon arriving at their destination, the older passenger pointed a knife behind Bagcal's ear and declared a hold-up.

The taxi driver said he readily gave up his wallet but was able to get help from a tricycle driver who noticed the commotion.

He said he and other tricycle drivers were able to capture the two robbers and brought them to the police precinct at Caloocan Station 9.

He said the commander, identified as "Sir Lakay", told two police officers at the station: "Itapon na lang ito" while making a cutting gesture at his throat.

Bagcal said he began to fear for his life because the police did not ask for his name, address or even the name of his taxi company.

He said the police commander decided to board the cab and ordered Bagcal to drive him along 10th Avenue. He said the police commander got angry when he said he only wanted to turn over the 2 suspects.

Bagcal and the police official then returned to the police station and got the 2 suspects in the cab. At one point, Bagcal said they had to follow two cops on motorcycles until they got to the place where Arnaiz was shot.

Bagcal said Arnaiz was kneeling when he was shot by the 2 police officers, identified as PO1 Jeffrey Perez and PO1 Ricky Arquilita.

A forensics expert earlier said Arnaiz was shot 4 times in the chest.

In a separate testimony, witness "Joe Daniel", 21, was in Caloocan to get "pasalubong" from a friend last August 17. He said he and his friend arrived in Caloocan at 10:25 p.m. and left at around 1:20 a.m. the following day.

Daniel told the Senate hearing that he was not drinking liquor due to allergies. He also refused to share a cab with his intoxicated friends and decided to look for something to eat before heading home.

While searching for food, he spotted a police car near a Shell gas station in C3 at around 1:28 a.m. He said he decided to hide because he was already violating the curfew.

"Nakakita po ako ng police mobile patrol na natahan po sa bandang unahan ng Shell, nagtago po ako sa may poste, malapit lang po distansya," Daniel said.

(I saw a police vehicle parked near Shell, I hid behind a post near the gas station).

Daniel was able to identify that it was a Caloocan police vehicle based on its markings. He recounted how he saw Arnaiz alight the vehicle with hands tied.

"Tapos napalingon po siya sa direction ko, nakita ko yung mukha ng lalaki. Nakakaawa po mukha niya. Kumbaga po, Ma'am Senator, sa talambuhay ko po ngayon lang ako nakakita po ng nakadikit kamay niya sa police mobile patrol. And then ilang saglit pa po noon nakatakbo po siya sa may damuhan po and then nakaluhod po siya nung binaril po na may posas and then yung isa po, dalawang sunod na putok and then isa pa pong putok."

He said the shooters were holding something white in their hands. He said the shooters again shot Arnaiz twice.

One police officer then boarded the police car while the other stayed behind to look at the body.

According to the witness, Arnaiz was kneeling when he was shot.

The witness positively identified Perez and Arquilita as the ones who shot Arnaiz.