DOJ releases 37 more surrenderers

ABS-CBN News

Posted at Oct 01 2019 09:33 PM

MANILA - The Department of Justice (DOJ) on Tuesday said it has released the fourth batch of convicts who surrendered under President Rodrigo Duterte's ultimatum.

According to DOJ undersecretary Markk Perete, 37 surrenderers were released, bringing the total to 124 so far.

The DOJ on Monday also released 35 surrenderers.

The agency also freed 52 convicts who got out of prison early under the good conduct time allowance (GCTA) law.

Perete earlier said the joint task force continues to evaluate the carpetas of surrenderers and is expected to submit a fifth batch soon.

The prisoners were among more than 2,100 convicts who surrendered earlier this month after Duterte issued a 15-day ultimatum for heinous-crime convicts released early on good conduct to turn themselves in.

The President gave the order amid the controversy over allegedly irregular grants of early release on serious offenders who should not be covered by the GCTA.

When the ultimatum lapsed, authorities found that the number of those who surrendered exceeded the list, as parolees not covered by the order also turned themselves in.