MANILA - The Department of Justice (DOJ) on Monday said it has released the third batch of convicts who surrendered under President Rodrigo Duterte's ultimatum.
DOJ Undersecretary Markk Perete said a total of 35 surrenderers were released, bringing the total to 87 so far.
The release of a fourth batch of 27 convicts is currently under review. This would bring the total number of surrenderers set for release to 114 so far.
The agency earlier freed 52 convicts who got out of prison early under the good conduct time allowance (GCTA) law.
Perete also said the joint task force continues to evaluate the carpetas of surrenderes and is expected to submit a fifth batch soon.
Meanwhile, Justice Secretary Menardo Guevarra said they are verifying reports that a big number of surrenderers were released from the Davao Penal Colony.
He has also sent the partial list of those who will be re-arrested to Interior Secretary Eduardo Año.
The prisoners were among more than 2,100 convicts who surrendered earlier this month after Duterte issued a 15-day ultimatum for heinous crime convicts released early on good conduct to turn themselves in.
The President gave the order amid the controversy over allegedly irregular grants of early release on heinous crime offenders who should not be covered by the controversial GCTA policy.
When the ultimatum lapsed, authorities found that the number of those who surrendered exceeded the list, as parolees not covered by the order also turned themselves in.