More surrendered convicts under Duterte ultimatum to be freed: DOJ

ABS-CBN News

Posted at Sep 29 2019 10:33 AM

MANILA - The Department of Justice (DOJ) on Sunday said it would release more convicts who surrendered under President Rodrigo Duterte's ultimatum.

A fourth batch of 27 convicts have been recommended for release, according to DOJ Undersecretary Markk Perete. This would bring the total number of surrenderers set for release to 114 so far.

The agency earlier freed 52 convicts who got out of prison early under the good conduct time allowance (GCTA) law.

Perete, meanwhile, said the oversight committee would meet Sunday to deliberate on the list of prisoners for rearrest to be sent to the Department of Interior and Local Government on Monday.

The prisoners were among more than 2,100 convicts who surrendered earlier this month after Duterte issued a 15-day ultimatum for heinous crime convicts released early on good conduct to turn themselves in.

The President gave the order amid the controversy over allegedly irregular grants of early release on heinous crime offenders who should not be covered by the controversial GCTA policy.

When the ultimatum had lapsed, authorities found that the number of those who surrendered exceeded its list, as parolees not covered by the order also turned themselves in.