Bomb threat disrupts classes at Manila university

ABS-CBN News

Posted at Sep 29 2018 01:25 PM | Updated as of Sep 29 2018 02:52 PM

MANILA (UPDATE) - A bomb threat disrupted classes at the Universidad de Manila in Ermita Saturday. 

Police confirmed to ABS-CBN News that the threat was sent through a text message at 11:45 a.m. 

The message, received by one senior high school teacher, warned that a bomb had been planted somewhere around the school and that it may explode anytime. 

Anna Cerezo, ABS-CBN News

A police bomb disposal unit was immediately sent on site. 

The teacher, who asked that his name be withheld for security reasons, said the students were not informed of the threat to prevent panic but were asked to leave the building as part of a supposed drill. 

Anna Cerezo, ABS-CBN News
Anna Cerezo, ABS-CBN News
Anna Cerezo, ABS-CBN News

Ronald Herrera, Universidad de Manila Vice Chancellor, said the school was declared clear of explosives around 1:17 p.m.

Classes are expected to resume, but with tighter security.

The incident came more than a week after a string bomb threats hit several universities in Manila. 

- Reports from Anna Cerezo, ABS-CBN News