Rescuers shift to retrieval ops in landslide-hit Naga as hope for survivors dims

ABS-CBN News

Posted at Sep 27 2018 01:31 PM

Rescuers carry the remains of a casualty from the landslide in Barangay Tinaan in Naga City, Cebu on Sept. 21, 2018. Charlie Saceda, ABS-CBN News

MANILA- Rescuers in landslide-hit Naga City in Cebu have shifted to retrieval operations as hope that there are still survivors trapped under mounds of soil and rocks fades.

"Search and rescue" operations have shifted to "search and retrieval mode" as of 3 p.m. Wednesday, Naga City disaster office head Carmelino Cruz Jr. told ANC Thursday.

"The possibility of rescuing live survivors is very slim," he said.

"We are now on a search and retrieval mode as far as this operation is concerned," he added.

Watch more in iWantTFC

At least 63 people have died from the landslide that struck Sitio Sindulan, Barangay Tinaan Thursday last week.

As of Wednesday, the disaster office said rescuers were still digging for 28 missing residents.

The landslide struck after heavy rains, burying dozens of houses near a quarry site. It also injured 18 other people.

In the northern province of Benguet, meanwhile, rescuers are also digging to recover bodies of dozens of miners and their families after a landslide triggered by Typhoon Ompong buried their bunkhouse in the town of Itogon.