Palace: No appointment yet for Martin Diño

Dharel Placido, ABS-CBN News

Posted at Sep 27 2017 06:45 PM

Subic Bay Metropolitan Authority Chairman Martin Diño

MANILA - Malacañang on Wednesday clarified that sacked Subic Bay Metropolitan Authority (SBMA) Chairman Martin Diño has not been given a new appointment after the latter said he has accepted a post as undersecretary at the Department of the Interior and Local Government (DILG).

“As of this date, the President has not appointed Mr. Martin Diño to any position in the Department of Interior and Local Government (DILG) or in any instrumentality of government,” Presidential Spokesperson Ernesto Abella said in a statement.

Abella issued this clarification after Diño on Wednesday said he has been tapped to serve as DILG Undersecretary for Barangay Affairs.

Malacañang had announced Tuesday that President Rodrigo Duterte removed Diño from his previous post following complaints about "the way he was running the SBMA," said Chief Presidential Legal Counsel Salvador Panelo. 

"Marami rin akong nakausap na investors dun. Ayaw nila si Diño," he said, adding he advised them to outline their concerns in a letter to the President.

Duterte had the matter investigated and decided "effectively" to sack Diño by assigning Wilma Eisma as concurrent SBMA chairman and administrator, Panelo said. She took oath on Tuesday. 

Eisma’s appointment ends the power struggle between her and Diño, with whom she had been at odds over certain decisions in the agency. The two officials had issued contradicting orders that affected SBMA operations. 

Diño's removal from his post also came in the wake of the President’s signing of Executive Order No. 42, which repealed EO No. 340 issued by former President and now Pampanga Rep. Gloria Macapagal Arroyo in 2004.

The old EO had separated the “powers, functions and duties of the Chairman of the SBMA Board and the Administrator as Chief Executive Officer of the SBMA.”

Diño, a former chairperson of the Volunteers Against Crime and Corruption (VACC), served as the presidential candidate of Duterte's party, Partido Demokratiko Pilipino–Lakas ng Bayan, in the May 2016 elections until then Davao City Mayor Duterte decided to run for the position, replacing him at the last minute.

His daughter Liza Diño-Seguerra was appointed Film Development Council of the Philippines (FDCP) Chairperson in August while her spouse Aiza Seguerra was appointed Chairperson of the National Youth Commission.