MANILA—Kabayan party-list Representative Harry Roque is not giving up on the impeachment complaint against Comelec chairman Andres Bautista that was junked by the House justice committee after finding it insufficient in form.
Roque, who endorsed the impeachment complaint filed by lawyer Ferdinand Topacio and former Negros Oriental representative Jacinto Paras, said the committee decision will still be reviewed by the plenary.
“If one-third of the House members will say the impeachment must continue, then articles of impeachment can still be filed. I certainly have not thrown in the towel,” he told reporters Wednesday.
The lawmaker also claimed his colleagues from the justice committee dismissed the complaint for insufficiency of form over a faulty verification supposedly because they assumed Bautista will resign.
“As we near the deadline for plenary to review the decision of the committee on justice, many of our colleagues will be asking themselves, ‘Seryoso bang magre-resign itong si Chairman Bautista,’ ” he said.
Six Comelec commissioners previously said Bautista “could no longer effectively lead” and that it was time for him to resign. In response, the poll chief said he is turning to prayer.
The impeachment complaint against Bautista stemmed from the allegation by his estranged wife, Patricia, that he was hiding unexplained wealth, allegations the poll chief has repeatedly denied.