Atio's uncle tells Aegis Jvris: 'This will be the end of your fraternity'


Posted at Sep 27 2017 07:15 PM

Carmina and Horacio Castillo Jr. say their final goodbye to son Horacio "Atio" Castillo III during necrological services at the Santuario de San Antonio Church in Makati City. Castillo, a University of Santo Tomas law freshman killed in a hazing incident, was laid to rest Wednesday afternoon. Jonathan Cellona, ABS-CBN News

MANILA - The death of University of Santo Tomas law freshman Horacio "Atio" Castillo III in a hazing incident "will be the end" of the Aegis Jvris fraternity, his uncle said Wednesday after the 22-year-old was laid to rest. 

"This will be the end of your fraternity. This will be the end of it.
I don't know if any neophyte will be joining your organization," Dr. Gerardo Castillo told reporters after Castillo was brought to his final resting place at the Manila Memorial Park in Parañaque City.

"You've lost a good man who could have been on top of Aegis Jvris if you had not killed him," he said.

Castillo died during Aegis Jvris initiation rites more than a week ago after suffering "massive injuries" consistent with hazing, according to an autopsy report.

He was brought lifeless to the Chinese General Hospital on the morning of Sept. 17, a day after he told his parents he was attending the fraternity's "welcoming rites." His parents learned of his death before dawn the next day.

"You should have handled hazing properly. I was also hazed but my hazors knew when to stop," his uncle said.

The elder Castillo said the family would make the "proper announcement at the proper time" on what they plan to do to get justice for his nephew, who had aspired to become a lawyer since he was young.

The Castillo family thanked the public and the media for following the case, which has prompted the Senate to launch a legislative inquiry and to review existing laws on hazing.

"Thank you very much for helping us. Without you there, my nephew would have died in vain," he said.

Also on Wednesday, another suspect in Castillo's death, Aegis Jvris member Jason Robiños, surrendered at the Manila Police District to clear his name. 

He came forward just as John Paul Solano, among primary suspects in the deadly hazing, was released by the Department of Justice.