Who will write invite? Confusion amid UN rapporteur's planned PH visit

Willard Cheng, ABS-CBN News

Posted at Sep 26 2016 02:44 PM | Updated as of Sep 26 2016 03:21 PM

It remains unclear whether Malacañang or the Department of Foreign Affairs will send the invitation to United Nations rapporteurs to investigate alleged cases of human rights violations, after President Rodrigo Duterte said he will write them a letter of invitation.

Details of whether Duterte will meet with the rapporteurs will be spelled out in the terms of reference after the President expressed his desire to also ask questions to the rapporteurs. 

But DFA spokesperson Charles Jose believes consultations will be a "two-way" street where the terms of reference of the probe will be agreed upon by both sides. 

Jose said there will be no effort to censor or restrict investigators. 

"'Yung rapporteurs they can suggest the places they want to visit, the people they would like to talk to and UN country team can arrange those visits for them--either the country and country team or the Philippine government, but it has to be by mutual agreement," said Jose. 

Duterte last week invited UN and European Union officials to visit the Philippines and conduct a probe. He, however, said the officials should also engage him in a debate during their visit.

He has earlier slammed UN officials, including its secretary-general Ban Ki-moon, and the EU for criticizing his war on drugs' impact on human rights.

A total of 1,734 fatalities have been monitored by the ABS-CBN Investigative and Research Group from May 10 until as of writing.