'Time for trial': SolGen says Trillanes should be made to pay for crimes

ABS-CBN News

Posted at Sep 25 2018 09:20 PM | Updated as of Sep 25 2018 09:27 PM

Sen. Antonio Trillanes IV answers questions from the press after completing his booking procedure and posting bail at the Makati Regional Trial Court on September 25, 2018. Trillanes expressed appreciation to the Senate minority for showing their support during his arrest. Abner Mercado, ABS-CBN News

MANILA- "Time for trial."

This was the comment of Solicitor General Jose Calida on Tuesday following the issuance of an arrest warrant against opposition Senator Antonio Trillanes IV.

"Mr. Trillanes should be made accountable for his crimes against the Republic. Time for trial," Calida said in a statement.

The former Navy lieutenant on Tuesday was arrested by police on rebellion charges for his role in the 2007 Manila Peninsula siege and posted a P200,000 bail for his temporary liberty on the same day.

Trillanes' rebellion case was among the criminal charges revived after President Rodrigo Duterte voided his 2011 amnesty granted by the Aquino administration. 

The opposition senator has insisted that he underwent the proper procedure in applying for and securing amnesty.

The government's top lawyer welcomed the issuance of a warrant of arrest against Trillanes and maintained that the amnesty granted to the former mutineer was void.

"The OSG welcomes the Order of RTC-Makati, Branch 150 upholding the validity of Proclamation No. 572 and the subsequent issuance of a warrant of arrest and HDO against Mr. Trillanes,” Calida said.

President Duterte previously confirmed that it was Calida who found Trillanes' amnesty grant to be anomalous.

Trillanes had alleged that in withdrawing his amnesty, the Duterte administration was "trying everything" to stop the legislative probe against Calida over his alleged conflict of interest in government contracts of the Solicitor General's security firm.

The legislative inquiry into the matter is being led by Trillanes. 

Trillanes has vowed to go after officials of the Duterte administration who he believes are involved in his legal predicament, namely Calida, Justice Secretary Menardo Guevarra, and Department of National Defense spokesperson Arsenio Andolong.

"Pagdating ng panahon, 'pag wala na si Duterte, hahabulin ko talaga sila if they insist dito sa ginagawa nilang kalokohan," Trillanes earlier said.

(When the time comes, when Duterte is no longer in power, I will run after them if they insist on this foolishness.)

"Ngayon 'yung magpapagamit, 'yung mga abogadong nagsasalita diyan, ako talaga hahabulin ko ang mga ito. Kakaririn ko kayo," he added.

(Now, those who will allow themselves to be used, these lawyers talking, I will run after you. I will never stop.)