New Bucor chief to stop using mobile phone inside Bilibid

ABS-CBN News

Posted at Sep 23 2019 09:44 PM

MANILA - To set an example to all the personnel of the New Bilibid Prison, new Bureau of Corrections (Bucor) Director General Gerald Bantag on Monday said he will stop using his mobile phone inside the facility.

Speaking to DZMM, Bantag said he will also prohibit all personnel from using their mobile phones.

"'Yun po ay maging istrikto lang sa paghalughog niyan, kunin lahat ng cellphone, pati po mga personnel dapat wala na rin para po... may mga rason po 'yan eh. May mga dalang cellphone, baka po dalawa. Hindi natin sawatahin 'yung ganiyang practice, pagpasok po nila diyan, puwedeng ibenta," he said.

(We have to be strict in searching, we have to take all cellphones, even for the personnel. Some have two cellphones. If we don't stop that practice, they can sell their extra phones inside the facility.)

"Kaya dapat po lahat, pati personnel (Everyone, even the personnel, [will not be allowed to use cellphones])," Bantag added.

According to Bantag, he will also stop using his mobile phone to set an example to the personnel.

"Hindi po, para pamarisan nila (I won't use my phone to set an example)," he said.

Bantag also said he will order an investigation on personnel involved in corrupt practices.

"Sa ngayon po, maaari po natin silang imbestigahan kung sino po 'yung involved, siyempre hindi naman po fair 'yun na lahatin kung hindi naman involved 'yung iba," he said.

(We may investigate those who are involved. Of course it won't be fair to investigate everyone if they are not involved.)

President Rodrigo Duterte named Bantag as new Corrections chief last week, replacing Nicanor Faeldon, who was sacked by the President earlier this month following the approval of the release of several heinous crime convicts.