MANILA - Malacañang on Sunday said it is open the military's proposal to create an inter-agency task force to end the communist insurgency in the country.
In a statement, Presidential spokesperson Harry Roque said the Armed Forces of the Philippines may submit its recommendation to the Office of the President "for the drafting of an executive order."
"We agree that ending the communist insurgency in the country entails a whole-of-government approach," Roque added.
In an exclusive interview with Tina Monzon Palma on ANC, AFP Chief of Staff Gen. Carlito Galvez Jr. said the military is asking the President to issue an executive order to create the inter-agency body.
Galvez said the military has been successful in muting the armed struggle of the Left but they need more help in countering another supposed communist tactic -- the political struggle.
"They are very potent on the parliamentary struggle because they want to infiltrate government agencies and also our political system," the AFP chief claimed.
The Duterte administration had earlier suspended peace negotiations with the communist movement citing continued rebel attacks.