MANILA- Members of the Aegis Jvris Fraternity allegedly involved in the fatal hazing of University of Santo Tomas (UST) student Horacio Castillo III are now ready to surface, the fraternity said Thursday.
"Our steadfast efforts to convince our brods to submit themselves to investigation bore fruition as they express their willingness to appear and submit to investigation," Aegis Jvris said in a statement, as it denied claims they have been silent the past days to cover up the incident.
The fraternity's statement comes after Bureau of Immigration confirmed that Aegris Jvris officer Ralph Caballes Trangia, who is also one of the primary suspects in the death of Castillo, already left the country for Taiwan last Tuesday.
Castillo, a 22-year-old law freshman, informed his parents that he had been accepted to the fraternity after completing tasks like cleaning hallways and running errands for members.
Last Saturday, he told his parents that he will be attending the organization's welcoming rites but never made it home.
His body was later found by John Paul Solano dumped in a street in Balut, Tondo on the wee hours of Sunday. Castillo was rushed to the Chinese General Hospital, but was already lifeless when he reached the hospital.
Solano is now a primary suspect in the killing while 15 other members of the fraternity have been placed under an immigration lookout bulletin.
On Thursday, UST Civil Law dean Nilo Divina urged his fraternity brothers to "own up" to their mistake.
Aegis Jvris said it shared the sentiments of Castillo's family and that the fraternity also wants to see justice served for the death of "Brod Atio."
"Just like everyone, we want to see that justice is served for the death of Brod Atio. And we share the anguish of his parents to know also the incidents that led to his untimely demise," the fraternity said.
The National Bureau of Investigation and the Senate have launched their respective investigations in the fatal hazing of Castillo. UST meanwhile said it will probe the incident separately.