South Korea pledges $300K for Ompong victims

ABS-CBN News

Posted at Sep 20 2018 11:18 AM

Typhoon Ompong left a trail of destruction in northern Luzon, as seen in these houses in Gattaran, Cagayan, September 16, 2018. Jeff Canoy, ABS-CBN News

MANILA - The South Korean government said Thursday it would provide $300,000 or about P16.2 million for victims of Typhoon Ompong, which devastated northern Luzon over the weekend. 

The Korean Embassy in Manila said the donation will be coursed through the Philippine Red Cross.

"The Korean people and the Government of the Republic of Korea send their sincere condolences to the families of the victims of Mangkhut/Ompong," the embassy said in a statement. 

South Korea is the latest country to offer aid to the Philippines in the wake of the deadly typhoon. Several others have earlier pledged help. 

Typhoon Ompong, the strongest typhoon to hit the country so far this year, left a trail of destruction when it ravaged northern Luzon, leaving at least 81 people dead and dozens more missing. 

Most of the fatalities left by Ompong died in landslides in the mountainous region of Cordillera. 

In a village in Itogon town, Benguet alone, dozens of bodies have been retrieved from a landslide in a mining site. 

Authorities expect the death toll to rise as rescuers continued to dig through thick mud with shovels and pickaxes to find those still missing.