Abante News reports alleged harassment week after plant attack


Posted at Sep 18 2019 06:34 PM

MANILA - Abante News Group on Wednesday reported another incident of alleged harassment from unidentified men, just a week after an attack on its printing house.

Sharing details of the incident on Twitter, Abante News Group General Manager Gil Cabacungan said three men claiming to be agents of the Philippine Drug Enforcement Agency (PDEA) arrived at their plant in Parañaque Tuesday night, supposedly looking for "media."

The men tried to bring the plant supervisor with them for an "interview."

"Our deputy refused. The men did not press the issue and left after 5 minutes since our guards blocked their entry," he wrote.

PDEA Public Information Office Chief Derrick Carreon denied sending agents to conduct an investigation on Abante.

Abante News immediately reported the incident to police, but officers allegedly refused to put the incident in a blotter report since nobody was hurt, Cabacungan said.

He said they went back to the police station Wednesday morning and insisted on putting the incident on record.

"@AbanteNews will continue to print its brand of news every day without fail because that is not only our job but our duty as a journalist to our loyal readers. The day we stop running our plant is the day we let the enemies of free press win," Cabacungan wrote.

Fernando Jadulco, Abante News Groups' managing editor, likewise condemned the continued harassment against the publishing group.

He also assured their readers that they would continue writing about the truth despite the attacks.

"Tinitiyak namin sa aming mga reader na tuloy pa rin ang pag-uulat ng aming mga reporter sa katotohanan sa kabila ng mga insidenteng ito," Jadulco said in a statement.

(We assure our readers that our reporters will continue to report the truth despite this incident.)

The incident happened a week after unidentified men forced their way into the tabloid and website's Parañaque office and torched the printing machine and supplies there before dawn on September 9. 

Two employees were hurt in the incident.