Misuari still has standing arrest warrant, says anti-graft court

Adrian Ayalin, ABS-CBN News

Posted at Sep 18 2017 03:51 PM | Updated as of Sep 18 2017 04:31 PM

Moro National Liberation Front (MNLF) chariman Nur Misuari (R) speaks while freed Norwegian national Kjartan Sekkingstad (R) listens during the turn-over ceremony to government officials in Indanan town, Sulu province, in southern island of Mindanao on September 18, 2016, a day after Sekkingstadwas released by his captors. A Norwegian and three Indonesian seamen held hostage in the southern Philippines were turned over to a government envoy on September 18 after being freed by Islamic extremists who had beheaded two captives earlier this year. NICKEE BUTLANGAN, AFP PHOTO

MANILA - The Sandiganbayan Third Division has confirmed Moro National Liberation Front founding Chairman Nur Misuari has a standing arrest warrant for cases of graft and malversation through falsification of public documents.

According to 3rd Division Clerk of Court Atty. Dennis Pulma, they have not received any report yet if Misuari was arrested or has posted bail either in Cotabato City or in Sulu. 

Misuari, as well as former regional Department of Education officials, are facing charges in connection with allegedly bogus educational materials contracts worth 114 million pesos in 2000. 

Asked if the court is expecting authorities to arrest Misuari, Pulma said: "Yun ang order dun eh, kasama sa order sa warrant of arrest."

Misuari was seen over the weekend in a meeting with President Duterte at the Matina Enclaves in Davao City. The two met privately and talked about the proposed Bangsamoro region and the shift to a federal form of government. 

"What the court can do right now is to await for the report of law enforcement authorities," Pulma said.