MANILA - Two senior citizens died in Baggao, Cagayan during the onslaught of Typhoon Ompong, the town's mayor said Monday as the province continue to reel from the devastation caused by the typhoon.
Mayor Leonardo Pattung said a 72-year-old woman and an 83-year-old man died when the house they were in collapsed during Ompong's onslaught.
Officials reported that the victims already fled from their homes in barangays Bunugan and Hacienda Intal. But the house they went to was destroyed by the typhoon.
Ompong, the strongest typhoon to hit the country this year so far, made landfall in Cagayan on Saturday, toppling trees and power lines, and destroying several structures.
The province was placed under a state of calamity on Sunday as the local government prepares to rebuild what Ompong destroyed.--report from Raya Capulong, ABS-CBN News