MANILA- "The order of the President remains."
Malacañang reminded Monday freed heinous crime convicts under a law that reduces an inmate’s sentence due to good conduct to surrender on or before Thursday or face arrest.
With only 3 days to go before President Rodrigo Duterte's Sept. 19 deadline, only more than 600 convicts have surrendered out of the 1,914 heinous-crime convicts released through the good conduct time allowance law since 2014.
"Could be that others may not have known of the deadline but just the same, the order of the President remains," Presidential Spokesman Salvador Panelo told reporters.
Beyond the Sept. 19 deadline, those freed under GCTA law would be considered fugitives.
“As the President said, when the 15-day deadline lapses, then they will be deemed to be fugitives from justice and they can be arrested,” Panelo said.
Once the deadline lapses, the President had said he might offer a P1 million bounty per heinous crime convict.
The Department of Justice on Monday reported that a total of 612 convicts have so far turned themselves to the custody of the Bureau of Corrections (BuCor).
The implementation of Republic Act 10592, which increases the “good conduct time allowance” of prisoners, has come under scrutiny after the justice department announced that convicted rapist-killer Antonio Sanchez might be released from prison because of supposed good behavior.
The Senate is currently conducting an inquiry into the law's implementation.