MANILA - President Rodrigo Duterte on Sunday called on the Department of Public Works and Highways to study the possibility of building dedicated evacuation centers in towns frequently visited by typhoons.
In a command conference in Tuguegarao City following the onslaught of typhoon Ompong, Duterte said classrooms are used as evacuation centers in the current setup, which disrupts classes following calamities.
"Pag ganito tayo nang ganito, in places na prone sa baha, ang mga bata napuputol ang edukasyon. (If it will always be like this, in flood-prone places, children's classes are disrupted)," he told his Cabinet members.
Most of these typhoon-frequented areas, Duterte said, are in the eastern coasts of the country, facing the Pacific Ocean, like the provinces of Samar and Leyte.
Ompong, the strongest storm so far this year, lashed Northern and Central Luzon on Saturday bringing heavy rains that triggered landslides and floods leaving at least 25 people dead in various areas, according to official reports.
Duterte convened his Cabinet on Sunday to discuss the government's response to Ompong.
"I share the grief of those who have lost their loved ones," the President said after hearing the number of fatalities left by the typhoon.
Duterte deployed his Cabinet secretaries to North Luzon areas before Ompong hit land.