Jinggoy Estrada posts bail, to be released

ABS-CBN News

Posted at Sep 16 2017 10:09 AM | Updated as of Sep 16 2017 01:58 PM

Former Sen. Jinggoy Estrada arrives at the Sandiganbayan to attend his plunder and graft trial on July 17, 2017. ABS-CBN News

MANILA (UPDATE) - Former Sen. Jinggoy Estrada is expected to be released Saturday after posting bail for plunder and graft charges in connection with his alleged involvement in the multibillion-peso "pork barrel" scam.

"We are thankful and glad to the court that the bail was granted," said Estrada's lawyer Alexis Suarez.

Suarez went to the Sandiganbayan past 9 a.m. and posted bail worth P1.33 million. 

"They will secure a release order and then dadalhin sa Camp Crame, and then they will bring him here. Kailangan niya mag-finger printing. It's a process," Suarez told reporters at the Sandiganbayan.

Estrada will continue to attend hearings at the anti-graft court while out on bail, the lawyer said. 

"The trial will continue. Actually, there will be a trial scheduled on Monday, and then the graft also will also continue. He will be attending those trials," she said.

The Sandiganbayan had on Friday granted Estrada's motion for bail, set at P1 million for plunder and P330,000 for 11 counts of graft, at P30,000 each.

He is expected to be released within the day, ending three years of incarceration.

Estrada had been detained at the Philippine National Police headquarters in Camp Crame since 2014 on allegations that he pocketed P183 million in kickbacks from fake projects, purportedly with help from businesswoman Janet Lim Napoles, the alleged scam mastermind.

Earlier, the senator's wife Precy said Estrada will first go to their Quezon City home after his release. He and his family are then expected to go to his father Manila Mayor Joseph Estrada's house for lunch.

A thanksgiving mass is also scheduled at 3 p.m. on Saturday at the Pinaglabanan Shrine in San Juan, the family's bailiwick, she said. 

"He was saying last night that during the last day of Senate he didn't have the opportunity to thank his constituents so maybe that's the first thing that he will do. He will go around the country and it will be an opportunity for him to thank his supporters," she said.

Estrada is among three former senators tagged in the scam, along with Senators Bong Revilla and Juan Ponce Enrile.

Enrile was released on bail in 2015, while Revilla remains detained while on trial.