CASIGURAN, Aurora – Strong waves could be seen in the coastal area of Barangay Ditinagyan in the wake of the lashing of Typhoon Ompong.
But the impact was absorbed by a natural breakwater, sparing two barangays, San Ildefonso and Cozo, from a severe beating. Families in these risk areas were earlier evacuated.
Typhoon Ompong, the strongest storm to hit the country so far this year, uprooted trees across the province, but there has been no report of casualties or structural damage so far, the Municipal Social Welfare and Development Office (MSWDO) said.
Roads are still passable but motorists should look out for falling tree branches.
Some families that earlier sought shelter in evacuation centers have already gone back to their houses.
According to the MSWDO, from 639 families or 2,461 individuals last night, only 574 families or 2,177 individuals remained in evacuation centers as of this posting. Most of those still in shelters are in coastal barangays San Ildefonso and Cozo.
Social Welfare officer Nida Coralde said that families usually opt to go home as soon as they think they are out of danger.
In an evacuation center in Barangay Calabgan, from 97 families Friday night, only 8 families remained as of this posting.
The village chief said most families already returned home to make sure their furniture and appliances were not damaged by the storm.
In Barangay Dibacong, only 2 families remained in the evacuation center, officials said.
Meanwhile, more sacks of rice arrived here from the Department of Social Welfare and Development (DSWD). The town social welfare office will repack the rice and distribute them to families in affected barangays.
The extent of damage has yet to be assessed, but officials said crops and fruit-bearing trees were affected.