Davao City warns vs. use of burqas, accessories in public areas

ABS-CBN News

Posted at Sep 15 2016 06:23 PM

DAVAO CITY - People have been warned against using burqa, caps, sunglasses, masks, face paints, and other similar garments and accessories that cover the face, two weeks after the deadly explosion at its night market.

Davao City Mayor Sara Duterte was quick to address the qualms of Moro women living in the predominantly-Muslim southern metropolis.

"I understand the sentiments of our Muslim sisters with regard to the burqa, may I suggest that you wear the hijab which shows your face or cooperate with the security personnel and show your face if you are wearing the burqa," she said.

The local government enforced stricter monitoring of public places as culprits of the Davao blast remain at large. One of the suspects, allegedly the one who left the bomb at the populated area, wore a mask.

"General welfare of majority takes precedence over religious tradition," her statement also said.

The Davao mayor clarified that the wearing of accessories that may cover the face is "not prohibited by law" but is only being discouraged by the local government.

The police on Wednesday released new artist's sketches of the primary suspects in the Roxas Night Market bombing, which killed 15 and injured at least 60 people.

READ: Police release new sketch of Davao bombing suspects

Authorities will file a case of multiple murder and multiple frustrated murder charges against five John Does, three Jane Does, and one identified suspect.

Last week, Davao Mayor Sara Duterte raised the bounty for the suspects to P3 million.

READ: Sara Duterte raises reward for Davao blast culprits to P3M