Trillanes says to stay in Senate until court rules on amnesty

ABS-CBN News

Posted at Sep 14 2018 03:50 PM

Senator Antonio Trillanes IV in his office at the Senate on Friday, Sept. 7, 2018. George Calvelo, ABS-CBN News

MANILA- Senator Antonio Trillanes IV on Friday said he will continue to stay in his Senate office until the courts decide on the validity of his amnesty.

Trillanes made the statement after he postponed Thursday his plans to go home on claims that his car was tailed.

"The decision here is to stay in the Senate until maresolve yung court cases," he told reporters.

Trillanes has been holed up in his Senate office since Tuesday last week after President Rodrigo Duterte voided his amnesty over two failed military uprisings in 2003 and 2007. He has taken Duterte's order to court. 

The Supreme Court earlier this week denied his plea for a temporary restraining order and ruled that the Makati City courts which handled his coup d'etat and rebellion cases must decide on Trillanes' cases.

The Department of Justice has asked the Makati City courts that handled Trillanes' past cases to order the former Navy lieutenant's arrest. The courts have yet to act on this request.

On Thursday, the President said "nobody's interested" in having Trillanes arrested and noted that the senator should be left alone unless an arrest warrant is issued.

“The military does not have the interest. I don’t have the interest. He can stay there (the Senate) as a boarder,” Duterte told reporters.

“I said don’t arrest until there’s a warrant. It’s only the civilian courts [which can order the arrest], but there is no order yet. So if there’s no order, huwag pakialaman (let him be).”

Trillanes, however, raised suspicion on Duterte's recent pronouncement and maintained that he will not leave the Senate grounds.

"That made me think, gusto niyo akong lumabas, e di hindi ako lalabas (you want me to go out then I won't leave) para lang... kumbaga, I am not falling for their script," he said.