What is the Chief Justice's net worth?

RG Cruz, ABS-CBN News

Posted at Sep 14 2017 10:26 PM | Updated as of Sep 15 2017 12:59 AM

MANILA - The lawyer who filed the impeachment complaint against Chief Justice Maria Lourdes Sereno revealed on Thursday her 2016 Statement of Assets, Liabilities, and Net Worth (SALN).

Lawyer Lorenzo Gadon claimed in his impeachment complaint that Sereno has wealth she did not declare in her SALN. 

He argued that Sereno's SALNs should have included her earnings from when she handled the Philippine International Air Terminals Co. Inc. (Piatco) case before she joined the judiciary. 

"If you'll notice even the real properties which date back to 1997 and 1998 dineclare niya. There's no reason di siya mag-declare ng panibago. These are beyond PIATCO case 1997, 1998. Sa succeeding years, 'di nga naka-reflect 'yung increase in assets even in cash in bank kasi kung this is a truthful declaration it should reflect. Also what she earned in Piatco either in real properties or cash in bank," he said.

"Since 2012 and from the 2010 SALN, it did not move. Saan talaga napunta yung kinita niya?" he added.

The ABS-CBN Investigative and Research Group observed that based on the SALNs supplied by Gadon, Sereno declared a net worth of P24.25 million as of December 2016. 

Her declared total assets amounted to P24.78 million while her total liabilities amounted to P533,739.20. On the average, her net worth increased by five percent annually during her six-year service in the Supreme Court. 

In a span of four years, while she was chief justice, Sereno's declared SALN increased by 35% from P18.03 million as declared in her entry SALN as of August 2012 to P24.25 million in 2016.

The increase in her net worth can be attributed to the increase in her declared "investments."

In 2016, her "investments" amounted to P8.36 million-- six times higher than her P1.20 million investments in 2012. 

Majority (68%) of her total assets come from her personal properties (P16.83 million ) while the rest (32%) were real properties she acquired in various years (P7.95 million), according to her SALN as of December 2016. 

Half of her personal properties were "investments" (50% or P8.36 M). Another 13% or P2.17 milion were her three vehicles acquired in various years. The rest were declared as cash in bank; appliances, computers, furniture and fixtures, etc.; receivables; clothes, shoes, utensils, gadgets, others, etc.; books and jewelry; and stocks.

Sereno's predecessor, Renato Corona, was impeached and ousted in 2012 on allegations he misdeclared his wealth.

Gadon earlier urged Sereno to quit her post and spare herself the attacks during an impeachment trial.