Makati court defers decision on Trillanes arrest warrant

ABS-CBN News

Posted at Sep 13 2018 10:14 AM

Senator Antonio Trillanes IV talks to the media at his Senate office on Sept. 08, 2018. George Calvelo, ABS-CBN News

MANILA -- A Makati City court that tried Senator Antonio Trillanes for coup d'etat on Thursday deferred its ruling on a government petition to order his arrest and instead gave the lawmaker 10 days to file a comment.

Branch 148 of the Makati City Regional Trial Court gave prosecutors from the Department of Justice 5 days to comment on Trillanes' reply, said Clerk of Court Maria Rhodora Malabag-Peralta.

Given the "urgency" of the case, the judge can decide it sooner than the 30-window prescribed by law, Peralta said.

Trillanes had been holed up in the Senate for over a week after President Rodrigo Duterte on Aug. 31 withdrew his amnesty over 2 failed military uprisings in 2003 and 2007.

Branch 148 of the Makati Regional Trial Court heard the case of Trillanes and dozens other military officers which stemmed from their day-long takeover of the Oakwood luxury apartments on July 27, 2003 to protest alleged corruption in then President Gloria Macapagal-Arroyo's government.

The DOJ also sought a warrant against Trillanes from the Makati RTC Branch 150, which heard a rebellion case against the lawmaker and several others for laying siege on the Manila Peninsula Hotel on Nov. 29, 2007, in another protest against Arroyo.

On Tuesday, the Supreme Court denied Trillanes' petition for an injunction against the withdrawal of his amnesty and remanded the case to the Makati courts.