Manila among world’s most stressful cities: study


Posted at Sep 14 2017 02:30 AM | Updated as of Sep 14 2017 10:54 AM

Manila is among the most stressful cities in the world, according to a new study.

In a study conducted by UK-based dry-cleaning and laundry service Zipjet, Manila ranked 10th, garnering a rating of 8.92 out of 10, with 10 being the most stressful.

The study analyzed 500 locations based on pollution, traffic levels, public transport, percentage of green spaces, financial status of citizens including debt levels, physical and mental health, among others.

With Manila one of the highly-urbanized cities in the country, green spaces have given way to high-rise buildings. 

The Environmental Management Bureau, however, said the air quality in Metro Manila has been improving.  

Its data showed 80% of air pollutants are from motor vehicles, while the remaining 20% are from area-specific and stationary sources such as open-burning, factories and construction activities.

Public transportation remains one of the Filipinos’ woes, with trains encountering glitches every so often.

As for mental health, a senator said it remains a concern in the country as data show 7 Filipinos commit suicide every day. 

A mental health bill was recently passed on third reading at the Senate and the Department of Health allocated more than P1 billion for mental health projects this year. 

The world’s most stressful cities:

1. Baghdad, Iraq
2. Kabul, Afghanistan
3. Lagos, Nigeria
4. Dakar, Senegal
5. Cairo, Egypt
6. Tehran, Iran
7. Dhaka, Bangladesh
8. Karachi, Pakistan
9. New Delhi, India
10. Manila, Philippines

Meanwhile, European cities dominated the world’s least stressful metros, with four cities in Germany making the cut.

1. Stuttgart, Germany
2. Luxembourg City, Luxembourg
3. Hanover, Germany
4. Bern, Switzerland
5. Munich, Germany
6. Bordeaux, France
7. Edinburgh, UK
8. Sydney, Australia
9. Graz, Austria and Hamburg, Germany