Bong Go ready for another face-off with Trillanes

Dharel Placido, ABS-CBN News

Posted at Sep 12 2018 06:35 PM | Updated as of Sep 12 2018 11:17 PM

MANILA (UPDATE) - Special Assistant to the President Bong Go on Wednesday said he was ready to face a Senate investigation being called by Senator Antonio Trillanes IV against him.

Trillanes on Wednesday filed a resolution seeking an inquiry into a report that a company allegedly owned by Go’s relatives bagged construction projects.

The opposition senator said the investigation sought to determine possible "conflict of interest." The deals were awarded to CLTG Builders, reportedly owned by Go’s father and stepbrother, according to a report by the Philippine Center for Investigative Journalism (PCIJ).

“I’m very excited for another Senate face-off with Mr. Trillanes,” Go told reporters.

“He should hurry up. If we can do it tomorrow or now, I will attend. But he might go into hiding soon. How can we face each other? I want to clear myself of the allegations as I observed ‘delicadeza’ my entire life," Go added in Filipino.

Trillanes' call for an inquiry came as he fought President Rodrigo Duterte's order voiding his amnesty, which revived coup d'etat and rebellion charges against him for leading uprisings against government in 2003 and 2007. 

The senator has been holed up in his office as he faced possible arrest. Government has said it would defer to the court's ruling on whether or not he would be taken into custody. 

According to the PCIJ report, CLTG was awarded PhP4.6 billion worth of projects over the past decade, all from the Department of Public Works and Highways. Among the projects, more than half were awarded only last year.

Go has defended the business activities of his relatives, saying it is within their right to conduct business, which he said underwent the proper processes.

He also branded the PCIJ report as "fake news". The PCIJ said it is standing by its report.

"The issue here is did I intervene? I'm one of the closest to the President. I could have intervened but I did not," he said.

He also turned the tables on Trillanes by accusing the latter’s mother of conducting business with the Navy despite his status as then Navy officer.

Trillanes has denied this claim, which was also aired by President Duterte on Tuesday, calling it a "low blow."

Trillanes and Go already faced each other in the Senate during an investigation into a multibillion-peso frigate weapons deal where the President’s aide was accused of meddling.

Malacañang has said Go had nothing to do with the deal.