MANILA - Solicitor General Jose Calida on Tuesday said he was "elated" after the Supreme Court refused to grant Senator Antonio Trillanes IV's plea for a temporary restraining order against the presidential proclamation that voided his amnesty.
In a statement, Calida said he was happy that the high court acknowledged that President Rodrigo Duterte's Proclamation 572 afforded Trillanes due process.
Calida was known to have dug records on Trillanes' 2011 amnesty. Duterte's proclamation that nullified this was made public on Sept. 4, the same day Trillanes began a legislative inquiry into contracts of Calida's security agency with government agencies.
"Clearly, the baseless and inflammatory statements of Mr. Trillanes are mere delusions of a grandiose man," Calida said, hoping the mutineer-turned-senator would "man up" and face charges against him
The Supreme Court in its Tuesday resolution said the Makati court that heard Trillanes' cases should decide on the legality of Duterte's proclamation.
The high court also ordered Malacañang officials to comment on Trillanes' plea within 10 days.
Duterte voided Trillanes' amnesty for his alleged failure to meet the requirements for the grant, including filling out an official application form and admitting his guilt under oath.
The senator earlier showed videos and documents to debunk these claims and questioned the legality of Duterte's order before the Supreme Court.
Two Makati courts handling Trillanes' coup d'etat and rebellion charges filed against him for leading uprisings in 2003 and 2007 had already set hearings on the justice department's petition for an arrest warrant and hold departure order against the senator.
--report from Dexter Ganibe, ABS-CBN News