MANILA - There is no legal impediment to enforce the presidential proclamation revoking the amnesty of Sen. Antonio Trillanes IV, Malacañang said Tuesday.
This after the Supreme Court denied Trillanes’ petition for a preliminary injunction against President Rodrigo Duterte's order voiding his amnesty over 2 failed uprisings more than a decade ago.
The high tribunal said the Makati City court that heard Trillanes' case should decide on the legality of Duterte's proclamation that voided his amnesty.
“The SC has spoken. Senator Trillanes sought to restrain the implementation of Presidential Proclamation 572. The SC denied the application for TRO (temporary restraining order). There is no legal impediment now to implement Proclamation 572. He had his day in court and he failed,” Roque said in a press briefing.
Roque, nonetheless, said Duterte would still await the decision of two branches of the Makati Regional Trial Court (RTC) handling coup d'etat and rebellion cases filed against Trillanes for leading uprisings in 2003 and 2007.
The Department of Justice has pending pleas before the Makati RTC Branches 148 and 150 seeking a warrant of arrest and hold departure order against the former rebel soldier.
The local courts have deferred the request and instead set separate hearings.
Duterte ordered the nullification of Trillanes' 2011 amnesty on Aug. 31, saying there was no proper application and admission of guilt on record.
Trillanes has been holed up in his office since Tuesday last week saying he could not be arrested without a warrant.
The senator had shown videos and papers to prove that he filed for amnesty, but the Department of National Defense said last week they were still looking for the missing documents.