MANILA - Justice Secretary Menardo Guevarra on Tuesday said he is "very happy" that the Supreme Court refused to issue a temporary restraining order against an executive proclamation that voided the amnesty granted to opposition Senator Antonio Trillanes IV.
"The DOJ is very happy to know that the Supreme Court has denied Senator Trillanes’ application for a restraining order," Guevarra said in a statement.
"In the process, the Supreme Court has also acknowledged the trial courts’ continuing jurisdiction over the coup d’ etat and rebellion cases, notwithstanding the alleged 'finality' of the orders of dismissal based on the grant of amnesty to Sen. Trillanes," he said.
The high court earlier said that it will not issue a halt order against President Rodrigo Duterte's Proclamation 572 to allow some Makati regional trial courts determine the legality of the order.
Duterte invalidated the amnesty granted to Trillanes last week over the former mutineer's alleged failure to submit an application form with a clear admission of guilt.
Trillanes had been staying in his Senate office since Tuesday last week, saying he could not be arrested without a warrant.
The senator had shown videos and papers to prove that he filed for amnesty but the Department of National Defense said last week they were still looking for the missing documents.
The Justice Department had asked 2 Makati courts to issue an arrest warrant against the senator.
Both courts said it would have to hold hearings before issuing an arrest order against the former Navy lieutenant.