MANILA - Senator Antonio Trillanes IV said Sunday he would waive his right to bank secrecy and allow the opening of his accounts after President Rodrigo Duterte accused him of hiding money overseas.
Duterte threatened Saturday to release Trillanes' alleged bank deposits, which he said were "all over" China, Hong Kong, Australia and America.
Around the same time, photos circulated online supposedly showing several remittances of $50 to Trillanes' alleged accounts.
"Ni isa, wala akong offshore bank account. Pipirma ako ng waiver as soon as makuha ko na iyung mga detalye na sinabi nilang ilalabas nila," Trillanes told DZMM.
(I do not have even a single offshore bank account. I will sign a waiver as soon as I get the details of whatever they will reveal.)
Trillanes said Duterte only made the accusation to divert public attention away from his allegations that the President's son, Davao City Vice Mayor Paolo Duterte, is part of a syndicate that allegedly smuggled P6.4 billion worth of shabu into the country last May.
The senator also linked the vice mayor and his brother-in-law, lawyer Mans Carpio, to the so-called "Davao Group," which allegedly accepted bribes in exchange for the release of questionable shipments.
During last year's campaign, Trillanes also claimed that the President, then mayor of Davao, failed to declare P211 million in 17 accounts.
Duterte, his son and in-laws have not executed waivers for their bank accounts, Trillanes said.