MANILA -- A defense department document shows a "careful and thorough evaluation" of Sen. Antonio Trillanes IV’s application for amnesty in 2011, in what a fellow former mutineer said Wednesday should prove he had complied with the requirements.
The resolution recommended the approval of Trillanes’ application and those of 38 others, saying they were "qualified for the grant of amnesty" under a proclamation made by then President Benigno Aquino III.
It was prepared by a 5-man committee formed to screen applications for amnesty.
It also noted that "no opposition was filed against the applicants within 15 days" from the time their names were published on Jan. 5, 2011, the document obtained by ABS-CBN News showed.
Atop the list was the application of Trillanes, a former Navy officer, who took part in efforts to oust then President Gloria Macapagal-Arroyo in separate mutineers in 2003 and 2007.
Also in the list of applications recommended for approval was that of Magdalo Rep. Gary Alejano, a former Marine captain.
Alejano said the document was proof that Trillanes’ application had been thoroughly scrutinized.
The resolution, dated Jan. 21, 2011, was signed by former defense chief Voltaire Gazmin.
"Akala nila hindi nag-file si senator kasi sa isip nila, nagpalakas lang yan. Nag-submit lang dun, di naman sumipot," Alejano told a Manila forum, citing video clips of Trillanes submitting his application in 2011.
(They thought the senator didn't show up when the document was submitted.)
"Dapat ginawa nila assignment nila," he said.
(They should've done their homework.)
Alejano said he was with the senator when the filing was made.
President Rodrigo Duterte earlier nullified Trillanes’ amnesty because the senator allegedly "never expressed his guilt" over crimes committed during the Oakwood mutiny and the Manila Peninsula siege.
Duterte, in a proclamation, also said there was "no available copy" of the senator’s amnesty application in the military’s records.