MANILA—President Rodrigo Duterte has yet to decide on the fate of Bureau of Corrections (BuCor) chief Nicanor Faeldon, and he is expected to have an answer at least after the Senate closes its investigation on the release of thousands of heinous-crime convicts because of the good conduct time allowance (GCTA) law.
“It’s the Senate investigation conducting it. They will be having their own recommendations and the President will evaluate and make a decision unless sooner decided by the President himself,” Presidential spokesman Salvador Panelo said Tuesday.
But does Faeldon, who was earlier embroiled in another scandal concerning the entry of billions of pesos worth of drugs during his stint as Customs Chief, still have Duterte’s trust and confidence?
“Until such time as the President says otherwise, the status quo remains,” Panelo answered. "Let’s wait for the President.”
Faeldon was criticized for signing orders for the release of Sanchez, 3 persons convicted in the 1997 rape-slay of the Chiong sisters, and several drug convicts for supposed good conduct while in prison.
However, Faeldon appears to have Duterte’s trust, being appointed to various sensitive government posts, including the leadership at the Bureau of Customs.
Sen. Ping Lacson previously said last Monday's Senate inquiry on the release of several high-profile convicts, including rapist-killer Antonio Sanchez, revealed that Faeldon indeed abused his position.
“Since Faeldon has categorically stated that he's leaving his fate to the appointing authority, the subsequent action of the President will say a lot about his avowed battle against drugs and corruption,” Lacson said.
- With a report from Dharel Placido, ABS-CBN News