DAVAO - President Rodrigo Duterte insisted there was no "failure of intelligence" in the Davao night market explosion that claimed the lives of at least 14 people and injured at least 67 others Friday evening.
"I remember warning everybody that there's going to be a reprisal because of the ongoing war in Sulu," Duterte said.
"We were forewarned. We were ready for this. There was a warning, not only in Jolo but (in) other places also," Duterte said earlier in a press conference, admitting the blast may be connected to the Abu Sayyaf Group (ASG).
READ: Duterte on Abu Sayyaf: Destroy them
Duterte declined to give more details about information that the military and police have, saying authorities are still "trying to link the pieces together."
Presidential Communications Secretary Martin Andanar earlier told ABS-CBN News that although the ASG and drug lords are primary suspects, authorities have yet to rule out other angles.
READ: Andanar: ASG, drug lords may be behind Davao blast
However, the Abu Sayyaf Group has claimed responsibility for the attack.
READ: ASG claims responsibility for Davao market blast
"The explosion occurred just before 11:00 p.m. at a bustling market and close to one of Davao's top hotels," Davao City Police Office spokeswoman Catherine dela Rey said.
"There was an explosion but, as to what caused it, it is still under investigation."