2 suspects acquitted in kidnapping of slain Bohol mayor's friend

Joworski Alipon, ABS-CBN News

Posted at Aug 30 2017 10:23 PM

Two of seven alleged accomplices of Bohol Provincial Board Member Niño Rey Boniel were acquitted Wednesday in the kidnapping and serious illegal detention charges filed against them.

In a joint resolution, the Tagbilaran City Prosecutor's Office found no probable cause to include Wilson Hoylar and Brian Sayson in the kidnapping and illegal detention of Angela Leyson, friend of slain Bien Unido Mayor Gisela Boniel.

"We find no evidence to justify the inclusion of respondents Brian and Wilson. Apparently, there is no evidence to speak or show that the respondents were among of the 6-8 persons who assaulted the mayor and could link them in the unlawful detention and withholding of Angela and Pete," the resolution read.

Niño Rey earlier pleaded not guilty to kidnapping and serious illegal detention charges of Leyson.

Niño Rey Boniel is the primary suspect in the killing of his wife Mayor Gisela.

Sayson and Hoylar said their exoneration is a sigh of relief but their fight isn't over yet.

"Happy but we are still looking at our murder case in Lapu-Lapu City," Hoylar said.

Both opted for a preliminary investigation for the murder charges lodged against them.

Meanwhile, Tagbilaran fiscal's office indicted Allan Delos Reyes Jr., Wilfredo Hoylar, Randel Lupas, Restituto Magoncia Jr., and Lobo Boniel in the Kidnapping and Serious Illegal Detention cases.

"Moving on, the collated testimonies of all the parties show that respondents Randel, Wilfredo, Hoylar, Lobo, Allan and Roilito were all in the camp during the occurrence or in time proximate to the occurrence of the incident," the resolution read.

Lobo Boniel raised an alibi and said he was not present at the camp when the crime happened.

Lawyer Inocencio Dela Cerna, Lobo and Delos Reyes' legal counsel, said he will file a motion for reconsideration before the fiscal's office.

Senior Supt. Jonathan Cabal for his part said the vindication of the two respondents is not tantamount to Leyson's weak testimony.

"Well, it's their (prosecutors) appreciation. Good thing na nakitaan nila ng probable cause iyong mga talagang main actors," Cabal said.

Leyson testified she was with Gisela in a resort in Bien Unido when the crime was committed on June 6.

She said six to eight persons awakened them and dragged her to the floor.

She added that two men handcuffed her and started wrapping her mouth with a duct tape. One of the persons hit her in the forehead with a gun and electrified her with a taser gun on both sides of her neck.

She was then brought to a vehicle still handcuffed and duct-taped.