Palace 'concerned' about Comelec amid Bautista's woes

ABS-CBN News

Posted at Aug 29 2017 08:18 PM

MANILA - Malacañang on Tuesday said it was worried about the feud within the Commission on Elections (Comelec) that stemmed from allegations of unexplained wealth against the poll body's chief Andres Bautista.

"We cannot but be concerned about how Comelec work is affected by recent travails," presidential spokesperson Ernesto Abella said in a press briefing.

"Without interfering with the commission, we urge all parties to work together for the full performance of its duties," Abella said.

Last week, 6 Comelec commissioners called on Bautista to resign or go on leave amid investigations into his alleged P1-billion in unexplained wealth brought to light by his estranged wife.

In a statement, Comelec commissioners Rowena Guanzon, Christian Robert Lim, Al Parreño, Luie Tito Guia, Arthur Lim, and Sheriff Abas said the time has come for Bautista “to let go” of the agency.

Bautista has yet to step down from his post. He has denied his wife's allegations. 

Last week, an impeachment complaint was filed against the poll chief at the House of Representatives.