A Davao City councilor being linked to the shipment of P6.4 billion worth of illegal drugs in the country was a no-show in Tuesday's hearing of the Senate Blue Ribbon Committee after falling ill.
In a letter sent to the Senate Blue Ribbon Oversight Office Management, Davao City councilor Nilo "Small" Abellera Jr. said he is still recovering from uncontrolled hypertension and asked that he be allowed to attend the Senate hearings on August 31 and September 4.
He also denied being involved in alleged smuggling activities that led to the entry of the massive shabu shipment.
"I hereby state that I have no knowledge, let alone participation on the shipment of shabu from China, subject matter of the Senate investigation," Abellera said in a letter sent to the Senate Blue Ribbon Committee.
Abellera told lawmakers, in writing, that "he does not know Mr. (Mark) Taguba nor does he know about the drug smuggling in the Philippines, nor is he the alleged bag man of Commissioner (Nicanor) Faeldon."
Abellera sent a text message to Senate Blue Ribbon Committee Director General Noel Quimbo saying that he once again had to excuse himself from attending the congressional probe as he had to tend to his sick mother.
Abellera also skipped the investigation last week "due to medical reasons."
Davao City Vice Mayor Paolo Duterte, who was tagged as part of the "Davao Group" that operates in the BOC, was also a no show in this week's hearing.