MANILA- Malacañang on Saturday urged the public to trust the justice system under President Rodrigo Duterte as the slay of 17-year-old Kian Delos Santos in an anti-drug operation last week drew public outrage.
"Let us allow the legal process to run its course, and trust the justice system under the Duterte Presidency," China Jocson, assistant to the presidential spokesperson, said in a radio interview.
The family of the slain teen on Friday filed a complaint for murder against Caloocan City police station 7 chief Chief Inspector Amor Cerillo, and PO3 Arnel Oares, PO1 Jerwin Cruz, and PO1 Jeremias Pereda, officers tagged in the Aug. 16 shooting.
Oares, Cruz, and Pereda were also charged with violation of the anti-torture law.
Delos Santos' shooting in a controversial anti-drug operation on Aug. 16 has drawn public outrage as witness statements and forensic and video evidence suggested that the boy was murdered. The Senate has also launched an inquiry into the case.
Police alleged that the teen was a drug runner for his father and uncle, an accusation that his family has repeatedly denied.
CCTV footage showed that two cops in civilian clothes accosted the minor towards the direction where he was killed.
Two officers have admitted that they were the ones seen dragging the boy in the footage, but one officer denied this at Thursday's Senate hearing.
Witnesses meanwhile said they saw the officers blindfold and beat up the teenager before the shooting.
"The President has reminded our law enforcement officers in numerous occasions that he will not tolerate their wrongdoings or illegal acts, and the filing of a criminal complaint underscores this resolve of the government,"Jocson said.
Hundreds on Saturday joined the funeral procession and burial of the slain teen.