Alleged 'narco mayor' Loot surrenders firearms to police

Edgar Escalante, ABS-CBN News

Posted at Aug 24 2016 10:21 PM | Updated as of Aug 24 2016 11:25 PM

Edgar Escalante, ABS-CBN News

CEBU CITY – Retired General and now Daanbantayan Mayor Vicente Loot turned over 12 licensed firearms to the police here on Wednesday afternoon.

These firearms were put inside a box and were submitted to Daanbantayan Police Chief Petronilo Gracia, who then brought the firearms to the Firearms Explosives Security Service Agency and Guards Supervisory Section (FESSAGS).

Loot's lawyer Russel Pernites witnessed the turnover, and Police Regional Office Director Chief Supt. Noli Talino did the inventory.

Based on police records, Loot has 14 licensed personal firearms, but only 12 were turned over to authorities. 

Pernites said that his client lost the two other firearms: a .38 Super pistol and .40-caliber firearm.

Among those which were turned over to the police were four high-powered firearms, one low-powered rifle, one shotgun, and six pistols.

Loot was among the politicians alleged by President Rodrigo Duterte to be involved in the illegal drug trade.

He previously denied any links to drug syndicates, and said that he was never involved in anti-illegal drug operations during his last eight years in police service.

READ: Ex-cop Loot arrives in Manila to meet with Bato