MANILA - Some 1,400 policemen in Metro Manila who were linked to criminal activities such as kidnapping and extortion had been charged since the new government took office in July last year, a police official said Wednesday.
The legal proceedings are part of ongoing efforts to rid the force of erring policemen, said Director Oscar Albayalde, chief of the National Capital Region Police Office.
"Ito ang patuloy nating ginagawa kaya hindi po tayo titigil hanggang sa maging malinis ang aming hanay dito," he told Umagang Kay Ganda.
(This will continue and we will not stop until we cleanse our ranks.)
"Sa ating mga kababayan, wag po tayong mabahala, wag po tayong matakot at hindi kailanman ito-tolerate ng ating liderato sa PNP yung anumang pang-aabuso, kung meron talagang pang-aabuso na ginagawa an gating kapulisan," he said.
(To our countrymen, don't be worried, have no fear because the PNP leadership will not tolerate abuse, if there is such abuse.)
Alleged police misconduct was again raised following the death of 17-year-old Kian Delos Santos in a purported shootout. Police accused Delos Santos of being a drug courier, a charge his family denied.
Witnesses also said policemen blindfold and beat up the teenager before the shooting.
Albayalde said the police force condoles with Delos Santos' family.
The NCRPO chief said the President would not tolerate police misconduct.
Since the campaign against illegal drugs started in July last year, 1,400 civilians have died during police operations, but 28,000 have been arrested, he said.
He also noted that in NCRPO alone, more than 20 police officers have died during anti-drug operations and 60 others were wounded.