LOOK: Caloocan cops linked to Kian slay named

ABS-CBN News

Posted at Aug 22 2017 12:51 PM | Updated as of Aug 22 2017 07:32 PM

MANILA (UPDATE)- Three police officers from Caloocan City are in hot water over the death of a 17-year-old boy during an anti-illegal drug operation last week.

Police Officer 3 Arnel Oares and Police Officers 1 Jeremias Pereda and Jerwin Cruz are currently under investigation for the police operation that led to the death of Kian Loyd Delos and sparked public outrage.

Police Officer 3 Arnel Oares. Henry Atuelan, DZMM
Police Officer 1 Jeremias Pereda. Henry Atuelan, DZMM
Police Officer 1 Jerwin Cruz. Henry Atuelan, DZMM

Delos Santos, a Grade 11 student, was killed in an anti-drug operation in Caloocan City on Aug. 16, with police alleging that he shot at pursuing officers, prompting them to fire back.

CCTV footage and a witness' account, however, have cast doubt on the officers' version of the events.

Surveillance footage showed 2 officers dragging Delos Santos to the spot where the boy was killed. A witness also alleged that the police beat up the victim, gave him a gun by force, and told Delos Santos to run for his life.

PNP chief Director General Ronald "Bato" Dela Rosa earlier claimed that "raw intelligence information" showed that Delos Santos was a drug courier for his father and uncle, an allegation that the boy’s family had denied.

The 3 police officers were relieved from their posts on Thursday and are temporarily under the care of the Metro Manila police headquarters support service in Camp Bagong Diwa, Taguig City, National Capital Region Police Office chief Director Oscar Albayalde said.

Albayalde added that the 3 officers were placed under restrictive custody since no commitment order has been issued against them. The officers have yet to get a lawyer.

Caloocan City police chief Senior Supt. Chito Bersaluna has also been relieved of his position last Saturday to give way to the probe.

On Tuesday, Dela Rosa also announced that Northern Police District Director Chief Supt. Roberto Fajardo has been relieved due to command responsibility pending investigation of the incident. 

President Rodrigo Duterte on Monday said police officers linked to Delos Santos' death should be jailed if found guilty of a "rubout."

The Department of Justice has ordered the National Bureau of Investigation to probe Delos Santos' death.