Trillanes visits Kian's wake, vows probe on his death

Mike Navallo, ABS-CBN News

Posted at Aug 22 2017 12:47 AM

Senator Antonio Trillanes was among the personalities who visited the wake of Kian Loyd Delos Santos, the 17-year-old who was killed during a police operation in Caloocan City.

Around 200 protesters gathered in front of Delos Santos' house Monday afternoon. 

Despite the rain, they marched from Sta. Quiteria Church, passed by a police station and the site where he was killed, before arriving at his wake.

Members of Bagong Alyansang Makabayan, karapatan, Rise-Up, Gabriela, Anakpawis and other cause-oriented groups previously supportive of President Rodrigo Duterte, lit candles and expressed their indignation.

"Walang hustisya sa ganyang sistema. Walang pananagutan. Ang mangyayari, lalakas ang loob ng mga pulis. 'Pag pumatay sila, bibigyan sila ng presidential pardon ni Rodrigo Duterte. Ganun po ang mangyayari sa atin. Kahit sino po, pwedeng mamatay, mapagbintangan ka lang sa droga," said BAYAN Secretary-General Renato Reyes.

ACT Teacher's Partylist Representative Antonio Tinio also questioned why the poor are treated differently from the rich and the powerful.

"May affidavit ba kay Kian? May warrant of arrest ba? Ang due process ay para sa mga mayaman, makapangyarihan, para sa mga konektado," he said.

Former Bayan Muna Representative Atty. Neri Colmenares, on the other hand, warned police officers they will be held accountable for Delos Santos' death.

"Hindi kayo makakaligtas. Napalakas ng ebidensya laban sa inyo... Akala nyo may forever dito? Walang forever. Katulad ni Palparan, darating ang panahon na kayo ay mananagot," he said.

Trillanes, who also visited Delos Santos' wake, spoke to the family privately for 20 minutes.

He said he condoled with the family and promised to look into the case during Thursday's Senate hearing.

"Last year pa natin ipinagsisigawan na mali ito. Kung hindi pa sila nahuli ng CCTV camera at nag-alburuto pa yung mamamayan, tuloy-tuloy na ito at hindi ito hihinto," Trillanes said.

He added the Senate Public Order Committee, headed by Senator Panfilo Lacson, will conduct the hearing. Trillanes is optimistic he will be allowed to ask questions.

Trillanes also said he will move on Tuesday to oust Senator Richard Gordon as chairman of the Senate Blue Ribbon Committee because of his alleged pro-Duterte stance, monopoly of hearings and prior absolution of police involved in extrajudicial killings have affected investigations.

Gordon took over Senator Leila de Lima in investigating alleged extrajudicial killings in the country but concluded that there was no evidence to establish the claim that the killings were state-sponsored.

Other personalities who joined the protest and visited the wake were theater actor Audie Gemora and actress-activist Mae Paner, also known as Juana Change.

Father Robert Reyes was also seen at the wake Monday night.