7-yo boy of Filipino descent killed in Barcelona van attack: DFA

ABS-CBN News

Posted at Aug 21 2017 10:40 AM | Updated as of Aug 21 2017 05:12 PM

A man lights a candle at an impromptu memorial where a van crashed into pedestrians at Las Ramblas in Barcelona, Spain August 21, 2017. Susana Vera, Reuters

The 7-year old Filipino boy who was first reported missing last week was among those killed in the Barcelona attack, the Department of Foreign Affairs said Monday.

"According to Chargé d'Affaires Emmanuel Fernandez, the Philippine Embassy in Madrid was informed of the boy's demise by his family after his father positively identified his remains," Foreign Affairs Secretary Alan Peter Cayetano said in a statement.

The boy was separated from his 43-year old mother when a van plowed through a crowd in the tourist area of Las Ramblas.
The mother and son were in Barcelona to attend a relative's wedding.

"The mother remains in the intensive care unit of a local hospital after undergoing surgery for fractures in both legs and one arm that she sustained in the incident.," the DFA said.

At least 5 other Filipinos were injured from the terror attack that killed 14 people.

Philippine diplomatic officials stationed near Barcelona have been tasked to extend all possible assistance to the Filipino families who were victims of the terror attack, the DFA said.