DFA moves to locate missing Filipino boy lost in Barcelona attack

ABS-CBN News

Posted at Aug 20 2017 01:12 AM

An impromptu memorial on Saturday is seen two days after a van crashed into pedestrians at Las Ramblas in Barcelona. Reuters stringer

Philippine foreign affairs officials stationed near Barcelona were instructed to "exert all efforts" to locate a 7-year old Filipino boy who was separated from his mother when a van plowed into a crowd in Las Ramblas earlier this week, the Department of Foreign Affairs said Saturday.

Jumarie “Jom” Cadman, identified by British newspaper The Telegraph as a mother from the Philippines, is currently confined at the intensive care unit at the Hospital de Vall d’Hebron, while her son Julian remains missing after being separated from his mother during the attack.

"I have directed our embassy in Madrid to proceed to Barcelona and extend all possible assistance to our injured kababayan and to exert all efforts to help find her son," Foreign Affairs Secretary Alan Peter Cayetano said in a statement.

The 43-year-old Filipina is the wife of a British subject and has been based in Australia for the past three or four years. She and her son were in Barcelona to attend the wedding of a cousin from the Philippines when the incident happened, a statement from the DFA read.

The attack killed at least 14 people and injured scores, including 6 Filipinos.

Foreign Affairs spokesman Robespierre Bolivar earlier urged Filipinos going abroad to remain vigilant and “be mindful of your surroundings.”

"If you have an opportunity, when you land in that country or in that city, please inform the embassy or consulate that you are there, where you are and where you can be contacted in case of emergency," Bolivar told ABS-CBN News.

"If you notice any suspicious behavior, any suspicious packages, please immediately report to the police or any authority figure in the area."