MANILA- The National Telecommunications Commission (NTC) has partnered anew with the Kapisanan ng mga Brodkaster ng Pilipinas (KBP) to boost its crackdown against illegal broadcast stations ahead of the 2019 midterm elections.
This, as the NTC expects a surge of fly-by-night broadcast stations, particularly in the provinces, that have preyed on political candidates in the past.
"Historically, we can see a steep increase in the number of cases in broadcast services in relation to unlicensed broadcasts leading to the election campaign period," NTC Deputy Commissioner Edgardo Cabarios said in a statement Wednesday.
Cabarios explained that there had been incidents in the past when illegal broadcast stations lured political candidates to buy airtime for their campaign advertisements and then disappeared after receiving payment.
"What we do is we immediately issue cease-and-desist and show cause orders against these illegal operators, forcing them to shut down their stations, while others simply disappear,” he said.
“With our partnership with the KBP, we are optimistic that we can curb the proliferation of unlicensed broadcast stations which interfere with the broadcast of legitimate stations,” he added.
A total of 2,054 broadcast services division cases were recorded by the NTC last year according to the 2017 report of the Commission on Audit (COA).